Thursday, June 05, 2008

Captain Fantastic

It has been a long week at El Rancho Johnson. Violet came down with a wicked fever last Sunday and peaked at 104.2 degrees. She barely slept all night and just kind of moaned and cried. The fact that she has two teeth cutting through on top didn't help either. I stayed home with her on Monday and took her to the hospital to make sure she didn't have the plague or anything serious. Momma stayed home on Tuesday. She hasn't really eaten much all week. She doesn't have a fever anymore, but is still basically a goobering hot mess.

Here she is during happier times enjoying a stroll down the driveway with momma. We bought Henry some really sweet new shades so Violet could take possession of the Captain Fantastic glasses. He will wear his new ones but he still prefers the Captain Fantastic look.




Last year we planted some tulip bulbs near our driveway entrance. We also have some lilacs and some other junk flowering at our place. I think summer is here. Only sixteen more days until days start to get shorter. Yah, Minnesota!


Here's a classy picture of my special lady two knuckles deep.
Henry clogged up the toilet for the first time last week. The impressive thing is that is was pure logs -- no toilet paper. How does a thirty pound toddler lay a turd the size of a state fair cucumber? I was puzzled. There are no easy answers... It reminded me of the scene in Anchorman when Baxter ate a whole wheel of cheese and Ron Burgandy just said "heck, I'm not even mad -- that's amazing."
Here is Henry chewing on a knife with a pirate-style doo rag and his favorite sweat pants.

Last Saturday night we had both kids stay overnight at Grandma Judy's so we could go to a wedding party. It was the first time since we had the kids that we had overnight babysitting. It was really nice to have a night out with actual grown ups and also not to have to wake up to Henry screaming "I wants me some cartoonies and milkie, STAT!!" Momma had a particularly joyous time cutting loose and what not.

Henry has recently figured out puzzles and really loves 'em. He will do the same one over and over again. I guess that is more fun than a jar of rocks.

Violet is still not quite walking.

4 comments:

belsum said...

The first overnighter?! Dang. I've been hip to that awesomeness for a while now. Having a babysitter to go out at night is all well and good but you still have to get up in the morning.

Also? "You know I don't speak Spanish!"

Anonymous said...

"Only sixteen more days until days start to get shorter."
You just let me talk about the weather and how long the days are Mr. Johnson!
Love,
Sven S.

Unknown said...

The "logs" run in the family. Steve was a master at this!! -Plugged up the john all the time....by the way....that doorag on Henry's head is my "gardening scarf" I've been looking all over for...no more overnites till I get it back!! gramma judester

Irene said...

Ah, first smiles, first tooth, first steps, first time clogging up the toilet . . . all those precious moments.