Thursday, October 12, 2006

TURD GOBBLIN': The Daycare Adventures of Henry James and the Myriad Joys of Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease!

Dear Diary:

Henry had a really bad night on Monday. He didn't really sleep for more than 15 minutes the entire night except for one stint from around 3 to 5 o'clock and appeared to be in pain and pretty much inconsolible. We hadn't had a night quite like that since the first couple of weeks we brought him home. He also still has lingering chest phlegminess from when we brought him in to see the doctor about a month ago. He took some meds but it returned as fast as it went away. So now we have a combo baby sickness. An informal poll of moms and old ladies and what not indicated likely ear infection or gas. I thought maybe it was gas because the next morning he took a Texas-sized dookie consisting almost entirely of undigested rice and color crayons -- but I'm no doctor. Anyway, I think the mystery is now solved. I took him to daycare this morning and was talking one of his provider ladies and she said there is a little of the ole' Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease* going 'round. Sure enough, he had a couple of little blisters on his tongue and it all makes sense now. Spec-friggin'-tacular. So apparently Henry just crawls around at daycare all day and scours the floor looking for turd pebbles to eat.

Signed,
Sleepless-One-Armed-Dingleberry-Guy


*Note: Not to be confused with the feared livestock disease Foot and Mouth Disease -- different deal altogether. I didn't know this right away and was equally shocked and confused when daycare lady told me she thought Henry was afflicted with the same menace that cancelled elections and soccer matches in Europe amid widespread panic.

When he is not too busy gobbling turds, Henry enjoys crafts like fruit stamping! Here is his first work of art:

House Update: The walk-out wall is done and the floor trusses and subflooring are done. The timberframers are on-site assembling the timbers now and should be done Tuesday or so. The plumber does his ground work and sewer tie-in and what not on Friday hopefully. Then we can get the tubing done for the radiant heat and get the concrete poured before it gets too cold. I also had a portable crapper brought in for the subcontractors!

One more week and I get to have my long-arm cast replaced with a short-arm cast so I can move my elbow, then only eight more weeks to go until total freedom!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all your troubles!!!! Although they do brighten my day! haha But i'm glad things with the house are going good. I really miss you guys and can't wait for thanksgiving, it really can't come soo enough... mmmm food! anyway what is Henry being for halloween? I can't wait to see pictures. Hope you get well soon.

FEZ BEAR said...

Hey Em -
I hope everything is swell as can be at Gustavus. We haven't settled on a costume for Henry. Maybe Magnum P.I.?? We've been too busy to really think about fun stuff lately.

belsum said...

Fruit stamping! I need to play that game with Kirk--sounds like fun.

I hope the poor like Private Investigator gets well soon.

FEZ BEAR said...

Fruit stamping = Big time fun!